Wednesday, August 22, 2007


We have reached the end of our African road.

After two years in Togo we’re ready to return home — filled with mixed emotions about leaving. We are full of Anticipation for our return home to family and friends, yet we are feeling Emptiness at leaving the friends and life we have made here. More than anything, our hearts are Full. Full of witnessing the strength of the human spirit in the face of extreme poverty.

We understand Africa a little better. But we still don’t understand why such a great disparity remains between the rich and the poor. The West’s development efforts of the last 50 years have made little progress to overcome the myriad of issues that keeps Africa in the poverty trap. But that is another conversation.

For now, we hope what we have shared with you has created a better understanding of the remarkable people, culture and life in Togo.

God’s blessings to you all.

4 comments:

Togoman said...

Hello Cate & Wayne:
My name is Kokou and I am from Togo living in the US. I grew up a little bit all over the region south of Atakpame including Atakpame itself, Akposso, Kpalime and Lome. I like reading blogs from returned PCVs who share their experience and insights. It paints a vivid picture of the hopes we had growing up and broadens my perspectives on how those hopes can materialize with the participation of people like me who've had some exposure to both cultures. I will very much appreciate discussing this further with you and perhaps meeting other like minded people through your network or circle of friends even if it is just to exchange views and formulate some realistic platform I can work with. My email is propervastu@yahoo.com. Thank you

Sarah said...

Hi Cate and Wayne,
My name is Sarah Forte. Currently I am a PCV in neighboring Benin but looking to extend for a third (or even fourth) year in Togo. I have been offered the post of Atakpame in Togo. I just thought I would email you but did not find your email anywhere on your blog. My email is beinginbenin@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you. There is a lot of information on your blog but I just wanted to make direct contact with you. I have not decided to accept or decline the Atakpame post yet. I would be an CHAP volunteer. Thank you. I hope you are both doing well.
Sarah Forte

Vive...rie...ama said...

I'm not sure if you ever check your blog anymore, but I wanted to ask if you would be interested in writing an article about Togo for my web site: www.kidworldcitizen.org. It is an educational site, that attempts to create more global awareness for kids. I don't make any money from it at all, I just do it to help kids learn about the world:). I would love some African expertise! Have a look at it and see if you are interested. You can leave me a comment or email me kidworldcitizen (at) gmail (dot) com. I would love to represent more African countries!:)

Anonymous said...


Are you in need of a loan? Do you want to pay off your bills? Do you want to be financially stable? All you have to do is to contact us for more information on how to get started and get the loan you desire. This offer is open to all that will be able to repay back in due time. Note-that repayment time frame is negotiable and at interest rate of 3% just email us creditloan11@gmail.com